Simstopia
Hello and Welcome to Simstopia! Feel free to create an account, but if you already have one, welcome back.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Simstopia
Hello and Welcome to Simstopia! Feel free to create an account, but if you already have one, welcome back.
Simstopia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KONY 2012 Making History

+7
BimleSim
annasommer
miktiger
MadameChung
Purple_Penguin00
Conorsim
Paige
11 posters

Go down

KONY 2012 Making History Empty KONY 2012 Making History

Post by Paige Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:04 pm

As you probably know there is this MAJOR internet protest going on. Watch this video.

Paige
Paige
Schmoozer
Schmoozer

Back to top Go down

KONY 2012 Making History Empty Re: KONY 2012 Making History

Post by Conorsim Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:32 pm

It's been all over my Facebook tonight.... Rolling Eyes

I watched most of it, and I've made up my mind. Almost 1/3 of my friends have liked it and shared it and so forth, but I didn't and I don't plan to (unless my mind is changed)

This is my opinion, now...

I find it flattering how people are taking action against this now. Now. Because of this man (___ Russel?) it seems that EVERYONE has been following him, in some sense. It makes me mad that because someone who has taken advantage of the internet has made this campaign to get rid of this dictorial man, everyone seems to make a plunge for it too. This issue - not this group, LRA or whatever - THIS ISSUE has been going on for years and years and years, and I acknowledge that people who are not connected with this KONY compaign have been helping people in need across the world - which is simply fantastic - it just frustrates me that the general public, who KNOW DAMN WELL that issues like this have been going for ages, simply take advantage of an event that, in my opinion will never take effect.

Maybe I'm just in a really sh*tty mood today, or this week even, but there were parts in that video that just made me cringe. Yes, parts of it were very very sad and don't get me wrong; I find it brilliant that this man is trying to help the Third World, but, To me, he implies that by stopping this KONY man we can turn all world problems into rainbows. Sure, if this is successful, it may have some after-, ripple-affect but very unlikely. Ugh, i don't know ... I've been doing bucket loads of charity work this year and it's really opened my eyes to all this. Personally, I see nothing here. This man thinks, by using FB and other social media sites, he can, through some loop-holes, arrest this man? Sorry, but I don't see it working. Neutral

And ... this really makes me sigh... "KONY 2012 is a film and campaign by Invisible Children that aims to make Joseph Kony famous, not to celebrate him ..." yes, because from what I can see, that is working ... Angry I've seen plenty of statuses and "links" from FB comparing and putting Kony in the same sentence as Chuck Norris and Demba Ba. Maybe it's just Ireland that's doing this (lol) and I know it's very early days, but the likelyhood is is that not many people will listen and watch this whole video.

To be honest, before I watched the video I had some *crazy* idea that KONY were initials for something, but then later I found out he was a man and THEN I thought he was some Hero, ... the line "aims to make Joseph Kony famous" struck me ... I was very confused. It was only when I saw the video that I finally got it. ... But maybe I'm slow... Sleepy

I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I've bottled this up all evening and I wanted to get it out. A part of me laughs at the fact that people are only beginning to stop this Kony guy because someone else is .... personally this'll be over in about a week and everyone will forget about KONY. Dunno

IDK.

I'm not saying what this guy (who made the video) is doing anything bad, any help is still help, but it just frustrates me .... IDK, sorry, I'm not that good at explaining stuff. Blush 1
Conorsim
Conorsim
Genius
Genius

Featured Member July 2011 Featured Member
Life of the Party July 2011 Life of the Party
Forum King or Queen August 2011 Forum King

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Penguin00 Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:47 pm

i agree with Conor with the social thing not working

other than that i don't really know what to say, but HE MUST BE STOPPED
but with facebook? Shocked
Purple_Penguin00
Purple_Penguin00

Forum Clown October 2011 Forum Clown

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rachels-Media/262412687135256

Back to top Go down

Post by MadameChung Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:53 pm

I think I read a book which was a sequel of another..about this but I will need to check..once I remember the name.
MadameChung
MadameChung
Charismatic
Charismatic

Back to top Go down

Post by miktiger Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:45 pm

I remember when I watched the Invisible Children documentary in 7th grade, and it really hit me hard. It was an eye-opener that the world is a messed up place.

Anyway, I kind of agree with Conor. It honestly is kind of useless doing all this online stuff, but honestly most people sadly will never do more than that, so at least it's something.
miktiger
miktiger

Location : BEFORE THE PARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADE PASSES BYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Paige Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:52 pm

Took me a while to reply to this because I didn't know what to say. It's just that nothing is useless. Sure some people do more than others but it's like donating money to a charity or volunteering, every cent counts. By doing this we can at least get the world to, I don't know, realize that other countries are in trouble. I hate it when people are like, "I don't live there, so why should we do anything about it!" I feel like in the US, we sort of take things for granted and if my country was going through this I would definitely want help. Sure I may not be able to do anything to help but at least I can help pass on the message.

Last edited by Paige on Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paige
Paige
Schmoozer
Schmoozer

Back to top Go down

Post by annasommer Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:45 am

the line "aims to make Joseph Kony famous" struck me ... I was very confused. It was only when I saw the video that I finally got it.

Conor: Agreed- I think they should REALLY have used another word for that- it´s even more confusing if english is not your first language, and hey, this campaign is supposed to be international, right?!

the general public, who KNOW DAMN WELL that issues like this have been going for ages

Hm. A ton of people don´t know about things like that at all, because it´s never on the news where they live. Or if it is on the news at all, is in, like, late night political discussions hardly anybody watches anyway...
and I may be wrong, but I have the uneasy feeling that this description fits most of the US citizens.
So, however strange thisattempt to draw attention to the subject of child abduction to mould them into child soldiers, drugged killing machines, may seem to anybody who has heard about it before may be, I think at least it will spread the knowledge... Neutral

Paige: Agreed Wink
I think whenever someone thinks that the project that he or she is donating money for can make a difference, they should go ahead and do it.
annasommer
annasommer
Genius
Genius

Back to top Go down

Post by BimleSim Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:17 am

I wonder how someone can get so effed up in the head and be that insane... Sometimes I wonder how he must feel... Does he even realize what he is doing?
Worlds strange...

I don't really know what my opinion is on this video though... I mean... It does sound a little too ambitous to capture a guy with a children army BY HANGING UP POSTERS!? XD
BimleSim
BimleSim
Charismatic
Charismatic

http://hellkitten2204.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by evileggy Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:47 am

annasommer wrote:

the general public, who KNOW DAMN WELL that issues like this have been going for ages

Hm. A ton of people don´t know about things like that at all, because it´s never on the news where they live.

I wasn't on any news that i remember, I say that s ince the US has withdrwed troops from Iraq they send some to find Kony
evileggy
evileggy
Excitable
Excitable

Back to top Go down

Post by Paige Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:54 pm

Ugh I don't know what to believe anymore. Some are saying it's legit but then others are saying it's a big scam (not to Joseph Kony but to Invisible Children, because the Kony part is true but apparently the charity to send him out is a scam). Dunno
Paige
Paige
Schmoozer
Schmoozer

Back to top Go down

Post by brunettesimgirl Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Paige wrote:Ugh I don't know what to believe anymore. Some are saying it's legit but then others are saying it's a big scam (not to Joseph Kony but to Invisible Children, because the Kony part is true but apparently the charity to send him out is a scam). Dunno

I've been reading this as well. I've read several accounts where the organization has made an incredible amount of money, but only donated 31% of that to the cause. That this Kony Video is old (taped in 2003) and that what we see from the video is not necessarily what is going on over there now. I've read that the kids in his group (most of them) have stood up to Kony and are no longer "working" for him, that he's been pushed out of Uganda and is living in solitude in the jungle? (how do these reports know of that, and if they know of it why don't they just go get him if he's at the #1 spot of that criminal list?) .

Like you said, I just don't know what to believe anymore...
brunettesimgirl
brunettesimgirl
Administrator
Administrator

Life of the Party August 2011 Life of the Party
Forum King or Queen July 2011 Forum Queen

http://brunettesimgirlsimmies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by annasommer Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:17 am

Well being #1 one a list does not have to say that you are the first priority.

And if that criminal has indeed been overturned by his "army", naturally other villains on this list instantly gain a higher priority, because they still are in charge and therefore present a greater danger to the public Neutral
annasommer
annasommer
Genius
Genius

Back to top Go down

Post by brunettesimgirl Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:54 am

annasommer wrote:Well being #1 one a list does not have to say that you are the first priority.

And if that criminal has indeed been overturned by his "army", naturally other villains on this list instantly gain a higher priority, because they still are in charge and therefore present a greater danger to the public Neutral

I know that that means he's not necessarily a first priority.
brunettesimgirl
brunettesimgirl
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by annasommer Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:12 pm

Sorry, I just said that because the guy who made the video claimed Kony being in the first position meant that...
annasommer
annasommer
Genius
Genius

Back to top Go down

Post by brunettesimgirl Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:28 pm

annasommer wrote:Sorry, I just said that because the guy who made the video claimed Kony being in the first position meant that...

I was just going to say that too! Laughing That was going to be my argument. Laughing
brunettesimgirl
brunettesimgirl
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by annasommer Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:46 pm

Oh no Laughing
*shutsupandleansbackinchair*
annasommer
annasommer
Genius
Genius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockersimgirl Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:47 am

Rockersimgirl
Rockersimgirl
Good Sense of Humor
Good Sense of Humor

Chatbox Addict Chatbox Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Conorsim Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:51 pm

Rockersimgirl wrote:

Who are you..? Suspect tongue

I watched the video you linked, RSG ... great to see a different perspective on this.

Oh, and about my point about KONY turning into a mockery - on Facebook, for example: https://www.facebook.com/KonyMemes
Granted, these memes are hilarious, at least to me they are. Awesome Face

But it just shows how there are only the select few who are taking this whole campaign seriously.
Conorsim
Conorsim
Genius
Genius

Featured Member July 2011 Featured Member
Life of the Party July 2011 Life of the Party
Forum King or Queen August 2011 Forum King

Back to top Go down

Post by SimmerE15 Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:44 pm

Wow XD
Conor there are some funny pics on there Laughing
KONY 2012 Making History 426813_188099341303495_184903264956436_290782_2003952292_n

Not trying to make fun of it, but these pics are funnyKONY 2012 Making History 430979_188693684577394_184903264956436_291946_299520028_n
SimmerE15
SimmerE15
Good Sense of Humor
Good Sense of Humor

Featured Member August 2011 Featured Member
Forum King or Queen October 2011 Forum King

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down